Heart skips beats due to anxiety and panic attacks with dizziness, chest pain. Heart in danger?

I am a 30 year old non smoker or drinker. I am 5'7 and I weigh 145 lbs. I am overly healthy, other than suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks almost daily. I have noticed over the past 2 to 3 months what feels like my heart skipping beats. This is the only symptom I have. I dont get light headed, dizzy, breathless or chest pain with when I feel these. I also dont feel more than 2 or 3 a day. I dont get these daily. I may feel them for a day or 2 then go a week or longer without feeling any more. I also only notice these during the evening time or around bed time, and only when I am reclined back resting. No other position do I notice these. I am highly addicted to caffeine and am slightly anemic.My normal heart rate is about 70- 80 beats a minute and my resting heart rate is between 50 and 60 beats a minute. My blood pressure usually stays around 90/60. Suffering from anxiety, these tend to make me worry about my heart health constantly. I have no history of heart disease in my immediate family. Is this just another one of the many symptoms that comes along with anxiety or is this something that I should be fairly worried about? Thank you for your time.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Your symptoms are most likely due to anxiety only. Still it is best to rule out the presence of any cardiac problem or rhythm disturbances after going through tests like ECG and echo under the care of your cardiologist. Without a physical examination, cardiac problem is impossible to rule out.
Being anemic can also cause the palpitations and feeling of rhythm irregularity.
You need to decrease the caffeine intake and see if your symptoms improve.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.