Heart rate drops to 30 for 8 month baby. Prescribed Omeprazole. new insurance not supporting this medicine. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My son Brantley was born in January at 30 weeks ( he is a twin ) his heart rate would drop into the 30's in the NICU. To make a long story short we were released when he could have 3 consective days of not dropping under 60. We were there for 2 months. He is now 8 months and we are just starting puree veggies. The acid reflux and the esphogus flap not being closed put pressure on the Carteroid Artery.In the Nicu we were sent home on 1.25 milliliters of Omeprazole and it seems to work. Now i have changed insurance and the new insurance ( Nebraska Medicaid ) will not cover this medication. I have to choose between two subcompanies for the medicaid ( coventry or Arbor ) on monday. My regular peditrican is on vacation until Sept 27th, so my choice has to be made before then. Hence, i need to call both companies to see which medications they would cover in order to make a choice. What is some other INFANT acid reflux prescriptions? I have done a little research and found lansoprazsole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, but do not know if any of these are recommended for infants. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lansoprazole is recommonded in infants.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the medical history of your child.

Other medical prescription can be used for your infant acid reflux is Lansoprazole.

Lansoprazole is recommended in infants with gastro esophageal reflux.

As it is a prescribed drug, I advise you to consult his pediatrician for the prescription of this drug and the instructions regarding the usage.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarifications please let me know.