Heart rate between 70 & 85 BPM. Blood pressure ranging 140/74 to 109/73. Feeling tired, lethargic and trembling. Suggestions?bl

Question
My regular resting heart rate is between 70 & 85 BPM. I often ( once a week or two) get a resting heart rate that goes up to 125 BPM for no reason. For example sitting at my desk working, and it just comes on. I do the regular testing blood pressure while I have this and it varies between 140/74 to 109/73. I heart rate varies over this time from 86 through to 125bpm. I have had ECG's that say my heart is ok, and a stress test that was also all good. There is no particular time for this event to onset.

Other symptoms I have while this is happening
- Tired Feeling
- Lethargic
- Excessive Worry
- Fast sharp pains in sternium, slightly to the left in the rib joint area
- Repetitive Tikubation (Titubation) of my head to the left (mild but frequent in the time)
- hand tembling more in left than right

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I understand your concern. The sudden onset of rapid heart rate and associated worries, sharp chest pain, tremors of fingers and so on can cause undue worries to any individual. To any doctor, these symptoms can be classical representation of anxiety without laboratory evidence - it would be very easy for any doctor to disregard these symptoms. Therefore a couple of test is warranted:
1. Holter monitoring -24 hour/7 days holter recording of heart rate will be necessary to document the heart changes and look for abnormalities.
2. Thyroid hormones check to exclude possible thyrotoxic state (over active thyroid).

I suggest you to visit your local physician and discuss your concerns. The aforementioned tests are warranted.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.