Heart problem , advised for valve replacement. Having renal failure. What is success rate of operation?

Cardiologist, Interventional
My wife is having renal failure and ow she has heart problem , dr have asked for valve replacement(MR 2/3 , TR 3/3) Pls suggest what should i do and where should i get it operated, what is success ratio of operation
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 27 hours later
Thank you for the query.

Renal failure can worsen valve regurgitation. She needs a detailed evaluation both for her kidney condition as well as for the cardiac condition by a qualified nephrologist and a qualified cardiologist.

The presence of renal failure does increase the risk of cardiac surgery. The degree of renal failure, current renal function and the reasons for renal failure are all important. This also assumes importance if a valve replacement is considered and in the choice of a prosthetic heart valve. Certain valves need long-term oral anticoagulant drugs which have a lot of side-effects in the presence of renal failure.

The choice of treatment for valve regurgitation will depend on the severity, cause, Left ventricular function, left atrial size, presence of atrial fibrillation, pulmonary arterial hypertension, age of the patient, any other associated medical conditions, etc. The decision for replacing a valve is a complex one and should be taken by a XXXXXXX qualified cardiologist in consultation with the cardiac surgeon. Also, in some cases, it may be possible to repair the valve rather than replace it with an artificial valve.

If you can
1)upload the scanned images of the chest xray, ECG and echo findings
2)the full report of the Echo,
3) details of the age, location/city
4) details of the blood tests for kidney function
5) urine test reports,
6)the ultrasound report of the kidneys,
I can help you to reach a decision.

Awaiting your response,
With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma
Follow-up: Heart problem , advised for valve replacement. Having renal failure. What is success rate of operation? 20 hours later
i am attaching her latest echo report + bioposy report + discharge summary + sonograpghy of kidney

i am living in indore and now going to mumbai for her treatment and consultation , can u please suggest me best dr whom i can consult and get surgery done

in her stomach fluid is getting accumulated and stored

pls suggest best hospital in mumbai or in india where i can get this surgery done

If possible for you can you pls call me and advice or give ur mbl number so that i can consult u
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 2 hours later
Thank you for the reply.

The attachments have not been uploaded. Please upload the reports to the website.
Awaiting your response,
With regards,
Dr RS Varma