Heart palpitations, playing iPhone app games. Connections between the two?

Hi. I have recently started experiencing noticeable heart palpatations. I have also recently started spending considerable time playing rather addictive iPhone app games and wonder if there may be a connection between the two. Although the palpatations are more obvious when engrossed in a game, they are also quite apparent throughout the day. I have not experienced these until recently.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
It sounds like you have some type of tachycardia or rapid rhythm. Playing games does add to the anxiety considerably causing palpitations.Smoking or drinking caffeine or any energy drinks can also cause such symptoms. Anxiety is a potential factor. In the absence of anxiety we should talk about rhythm disturbance.

Certain things may contribute to a rhythm disturbance including dehydration or electrolyte abnormalities. I would suggest you drink a generous amount of an electrolyte beverage such as Gatorade for the next 24 hours.
Practice yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises and relaxation exercises. Avoid playing games for a few days. If your symptoms persist or if you feel chest pain, faintness, nausea or significant shortness of breath then you should see a physician for a full physical examination and consultation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.