Heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness, leg cramps. EKG, Chest X-Ray normal, blood test shows hyperventilation. Cause of worry?

i have not been feeling like myslef. i have had heart palpatations, neausea feeling, dizziness. I also had some leg cramps. i'm not sure if i should go into an urgent care center. I did go last night but they said ekg normal and chest xray is normal, they said my blood work just shows that i hyperventalated and thats it. should i be more concerned and go some where else?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I understand your concern about the problem at hand.
I suspect that you are suffering from an anxiety disorder. During an anxiety attack, patients usually develop severe anxiety with palpitation, restlessness and fear of some serious illness. After the attack, patient frequently visit emergency room usually because of fear of heart disease.

Common symptoms of anxiety include anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing, tremor, muscle spasm like leg cramps, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints are matching with these symptoms.

Anxiety is associated with excessive worry related to health. In cases of severe anxiety, reassurance or negative investigations do not relieve the patient. You already mention about negative investigation like EKG and a chest x-ray. So if your physician does not want to investigate further then it is better to follow him and get investigated and treated for anxiety.

At the same time, you may need treatment with a psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. For treatment cognitive behaviour therapy and drug therapy are used.

For the drug treatment of anxiety, two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety, benzodiazepines group of medicines are used whereas SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used for long term relief most commonly. SSRIs take around 3-4 weeks to show their effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

Apart from that, phentermine use is also associated with some of your symptoms like palpitations and restlessness. It is good that you have stopped using this.

Lastly, I would like to reassure you that effective treatment is available for your condition.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish Mittal, MD