Heart palpitations, cardiac ultrasound showed trace regurgitation, had holter monitor, have grade 1 murmur. Should I be concerned?

I am a 25 year old female experiencing heart palpitations every 20 minutes- 4 hours for the past week and a half, since I moved to a new city and started grad school.

It feels like a fish flopping in my chest for 2 or 3 strong beats then returns to normal. Sometimes it won't happen for a few hours, sometimes every 15-30 minutes. In total it happen about 10-12 times a day. I have no other symptoms with them, and am in otherwise good health.

I've had palpitations about every two days since I was 16, but the past week and a half they have been much more frequent. Two years ago I had a cardiac ultrasound (showed trace regurgitation), 24 hour holter monitor (showed <1% PVC, 1% PAC), and was diagnosed with a grade 1 murmur. My thyroid levels were normal. The doctor said not to be concerned and no need to return.

I've attributed my recent symptoms to stress, but should I be more concerned? How long can I safely just try to relax before I should go back to a cardiologist or ER?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 37 minutes later

Most cases of palpitation may not be XXXXXXX and doctors opt not to treat them.

Since in your case it is precipitated by stress I think you can try breathing exercises,meditation,yoga and moderate exercises. You can take up reading and workshops about stress management.These things generally take time to show results but are surely are helpful in long term.

I think you should not be overly concerned about this and take it as it comes on day to day basis.

But do keep follow up with your doctor.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.