Heart palpitaions, have costochondritis, sore sternum & rib. Cause & are all related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having heart palpitations for weeks now, and have serious costochondritis is this the cause of the palpitations.My sterum is sore and ribs.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Costochondritis is inflammation of costochondral joints. It is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
Palpitations are not associated with this inflammatory disorder.
Certain things may contribute to palpitation like dehydration or electrolyte abnormalities, excessive coffee intake, stres and anxiety, hormonal imbalance, cardiac problems, etc. I would suggest you drink a generous amount of an electrolyte beverage such as Gatorade for the next 24 hours. If your symptoms persist or if you feel chest pain, faintness, nausea or significant shortness of breath then you should see a physician for a full physical examination and consultation.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.