Heart pain and swelling between pectorals by taking antibiotics. Scheduled for root canal for bad tooth.

I'm a 39 year old male and I had a bad tooth and needed root canal about two years ago. At the time is was causing mild heart issues, such as my heart beating a little faster and mild pain. I antibiotics and the root canal and it all seemed to clear up within a few days.

I have another bad tooth and scheduled to get another root canal tomorrow. But this time the antibiotics seemed to make things worse. More serious heart pain and a small swelling between my pectorals that is very tender.

Should I continue with the dental procedure or go to an MD?

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

If you are having a heart pain and a tender swelling between your pectorals then you must consult your physician to rule out the possible cardiac problems before going for any dental procedure.
Going for a dental procedure means more antibiotics for a longer duration. This might complicate your problem further.

You need a thorough evaluation by a physician as there are various causes for these symptoms and they can be ruled out only after a physical examination and proper investigations. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.