Heart is beating faster even when laying down. Why is it?

Oncologist
Question
Hello. My name is XXXXXXX I am 32 years old. My heart has been beating alot faster in the past few months even when im laying down. Why is that?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart rate

Detailed Answer:

There are a few potential explanations to this phenomenon.

I would suggest that you visit with your doctor to review this and rule out a possible underlying thyroid disorder, anemia, electrolyte abnormality or possibly an abnormal heart rhythm.

Also, if you drink caffeinated beverages I would suggest that you decrease or eliminate these for the time being until you are able to see your doctor.

Thanks again for the query,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Heart is beating faster even when laying down. Why is it? 5 minutes later
I was diagnosed with anxiety a year ago, I also smoke and drink on weekends and am about 40 lbs over weight. Could any of these factors have anything to do with it? I also had a e.k.g. done last year and they found nothing wrong.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
The nicotine in cigarrettes as well as alcohol consumption can definitely affect the heart rate.

Try to temper the consumption of these in the near future and this may be helpful

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Heart is beating faster even when laying down. Why is it? 2 minutes later
can this cause me to have a stroke or a heart attack?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Stroke or heart attack are highly unlikely in your case.

Nonetheless - a followup with a symptoms.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga