Heart burn, feeling unwell. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I would like some advice I woke last night with very bad like heart burn then was very sick know in the day I've got that pain again not feeling well XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your symptoms do sound like gastroesophageal reflux disease or peptic ulcer disease. However, given the fact that you do have high blood pressure and diabetes, I would like to rule out heart disease in you.
In this regard, the first thing I’d like you to do is see your general physician and get an electrocardiogram (ECG) done. I would also want a general physician to evaluate you so that any possibility of heart disease is ruled out.
Also, please answer the following questions so that we can narrow down the possibilities further:
a.     Was the pain radiating along your left arm? Was it accompanied by any breathlessness, giddiness or a feeling that “things are just not right”?
b.     Have you experienced any nausea, vomiting?

Till then, the following might help if the symptoms are due to gastroesophageal reflux:
a.     Have small meals at regular intervals
b.     Have an early dinner
c.     Avoid alcohol, smoking and caffeine
d.     Elevate your head ( by 3-4”) while sleeping
e.     Take Tablet Prevacid OTC once a day 1 hour before meals
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Heart burn, feeling unwell. What could be the reason? 33 minutes later
i had no pain down the arm i do suffure from ahiated ernea i was very sick i also suffur mineries deses i wiil go and have a scan like you said
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

Thanks for the reply.

It appears you could be suffering from gastritis. You need to be on Proton pump inhibitors to reduce gastric acid secretion if so the case.

It would be best to consult with a Gastroenterologist for thorough investigation to rule out complications for Hiatus hernia as well.

Kindly follow precautions as mentioned in my post above for better relief as well.