Heart beats very strongly while lying in bed and occasionally skip a beat. Underlying causes?

im 68 in good healty ..some times while lying in bed I notice my heart beat vry strong and occasional skip a beat
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart palpitation, but usually not serious

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

Sir, I would like to start by letting you know that what you are experiencing are called palpitations of the heart and is usually a common reaction to stress; anxiety; caffeine, alcohol or medication use.

But at times, palpitations along with other symptoms like breathlessness, dizziness, lightheadedness, chest pain, etc; can also be associated to some underlying cardiac condition.

At your age, it is always better to be safe than sorry, which is why I would advise a complete cardiac evaluation. If this returns normal, your doctor will also help by finding the exact cause for the palpitations, which I am sure will be something simple and harmless.

Hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further assistance, I would be more than happy to help you.

Take care and god bless.
Follow-up: Heart beats very strongly while lying in bed and occasionally skip a beat. Underlying causes? 3 hours later
thinking back...I had drank 3-4 beers and been in the sun all day,and noticed the palpitations that night...but I will get a checkup soon...what do you advise in the meantime? what danger is palpitation...stroke..embelisum..?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heart disease, anemia, thyroid, arrhythmia

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Palpitations are usually seen when there exist some underlying condition. It is not usually considered a risk factor to other conditions, but more of a symptom.

When palpitations are experienced in an individual stress, anxiety, and other causes like caffeine, alcohol, etc; are first ruled out. Once these are ruled out the doctor would look into some conditions (overactive thyroid, anemia, heart conditions, arrhythmias, etc) to diagnose or rule them out.

I hope this information is clear and has helped you. Please visit a doctor for a thorough evaluation sir.