Heart beats hard when I get scared. Is this normal?

Hi when I suddenly get scared my heart beats hard but slow it takes a few min to feel normal again It this normal I thought if you get scared your heart should beat faster
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: May or not be normal ma'am, explained why Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in. It may or may not be considered normal, as many individuals who have reported the same presentation, have repeatedly tested to be normal. But this could be a sign of either a cardiac arrhythmia, blood pressure alterations or bradycardia (slow heart rate). Do you have other symptoms like: dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, feeling tired easily, fluttering sensation in chest/heart region, confusion, etc? I would advise you to visit a cardiologist and request for the following: an EKG (ECG), a Holter's monitoring device, and a treadmill test (TMT). I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me with any further clarifications or for any more information. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.