Heart ailments, mild heart attack, stents suggested, medical history of thyroid disorder and high BP. Prognosis ?

Hi - My mother in law has the above ailments and is in the ICU presently after suffering a somewhat mild heart attack. The doctor said that he believed that the stents were a better option than open heart surgery and a triple bypass. Can you please explain the differences between those options and whether her prognosis at 72 (she has high blood pressure and a thyroid disorder as well) is optimistic? Please let me know if you require more information than this. Also, I don't even think that she has been seen by a cardiologist or cardio surgeon yet and she is at a hospital that is not well known and I fear that she should be at one of our wonderful hospitals here in Los Angeles like UCLA or Cedar Sinai, or even Valley Presbiterian or St. Josephs. Right now she is at a smaller hospital and I am concerned about her getting the best care possible.

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Heart Failure
Follow-up: Heart ailments, mild heart attack, stents suggested, medical history of thyroid disorder and high BP. Prognosis ? 3 minutes later
Just in case you are not able to see the title of the question, she is 72, has 3 arteries blocked 90%, with a heart function of 50%.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

I understand your concern towards your mother in law.

First I'd like to say that you are probably right about shifting her to a better equipped hospital. Cardiac care is a specialized intervention and requires skilled professionals. That being said, if she hasn't been seen by a cardiologist then please make sure that she is.

Otherwise, from what information I have, considering her age and current heart function, open heart surgery may not be the best possible option here. With a 90% blockage, some sort of intervention is definitely required. But considering the age and other co morbid conditions, its a risky calculation that she would be able to withstand open heart surgery. Hence the opinion that a conservative approach be taken. However, only the cardilogist can take that decision based on the current reports and physical condition of the patient.

I would not suggest open heart surgery but rather prefer stenting as it is less riskier than the open heart surgery.

I suggest you to shift her to a better hospital. Get a cardiologist opinion. This has to be an informed decision on your part since any surgery could be risky for the patient anyways.