Heart ache, blocks in arteries. Recommended bypass surgery or angioplasty. What is your opinion?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX and this is regarding my mom's heart ailment. She is 71 years old and recently she had heart ache and upon diagnosis there are blocks in all three main arteries in the heart with 80% block. Doctor recommends byepass surgery / Angioplasty, but can you provide an opinion please.

Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 51 minutes later

I would vote in favor of bypass surgery, if there is no other health issue which might be contraindication for surgery.

Angioplasty is more suitable in cases, where there is local involvement of one or two vessels.

In cases where there are more vessels involved like in your mother's case, generally entire blood vessel has some degree of block with more severe block at one or more places.

Angioplasty can take care of the spots where there are severe blocks.But wouldn't treatment rest of the vessel, which can lead to future blockage. Again if you opt for angioplasty you may need multiple stents as multiple vessels are involved.

Hope this answers your question.