Hearing swooshing sound in ear. No pain, BP normal. Taking flexon. Prognosis?

I am a chiropractor with a 25 year old patient with sudden onset of "hearing swooshing sounds behind her left ear. There is no pain, BP normal pulses normal on auscultation and palpatation. Grostic adjusting on the atlas gives temporary relief and placing her neck in flexion as well as her torso aslo stops the sounds. No dizziness, eye movements normal in all plains of motion. She had a bad migriane in the first week of January and noticed the sound a couple of weeks later. No abnormal sounds on auscultation of the corotids or the epigastrium. All other verterbralbasalar were negative. I suggested a consult with a cardiologist for ultrasound and possible angiogram but the patient would rather stay with conservative care at this point.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later

Great that the BP and pulses on auscultation and palpation are ok. Apparently it is unilateral and without an associated hearing loss. If it were bilateral, we would have though acute autoimmune causes of hearing loss like in Cogan syndrome.

If the cause were actually to be associated to the migraine, the sounds would have been associated with the migraine from the start normally.

I feel she deserves a consultation with an ENT specialist for further probable keen ear exams and a probable audiogram.

I suggest she meets an ENT specialist first for appreciation and maybe other invasive exams if necessary. Remember even acute changes in sebaceous secretions and middle ear pressure changes could produce such rapid sensations that usually gradually fade up within a couple of weeks.

Thanks and best regards hoping this helps,
Luchuo, MD.