Hearing loss with tinnitus. MRI showed small polyp cyst of left maxillary sinus. What does this mean?

Jun 2015

hi dr i did an MRI cos i had left ear hearing loss associated with tinnitus over few months
I found in the report XXXXXXX
"Small polyp cyst of left maxillary sinus" what does this means
and also it mentioned "Enlarged inferior nasal turbinates with mild left-sided deviation of the nasal septum" and what this means too please advise
and does it have anything to do with hearing loss
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

These are the findings of your MRI Head (Cerebello pontine angle):

1. No obvious mass lesion in Cerebello pontine angle: Cerebello pontine angle is a part of the brain through which the nerve associated with hearing & balance passes. Any pathology in this part causes hearing loss.
According to the reports there is no abnormality in this region.

2. No enhancing lesion could be seen in XXXXXXX auditory canal: The nerve associated with hearing also passes through XXXXXXX auditory canal, and can be damaged due to any lesion.
According to the reports there is no problem in this region.

3. Limited study of the brain is unremarkable: It indicates that there is no pathology in the brain itself.

4. No orbital mass lesions: There is no abnormality/pathology in the eye ball.

5. Enlarged inferior nasal turbinates with mild left-sided deviation of the nasal septum: Nasal turbinates are the bones present inside the nose & are covered with mucous membrane.
Enlargement of nasal turbinate can occur due to allergy/infection/inflammation.
This can cause shifting of the nasal septum(which is normally present at the mid-line of the nose maintaining its shape) resulting in disfiguration & symptoms like nose block and recurrent infection.

6. Small polyp cyst of left maxillary sinus: Indicates the presence of a mass or pathology in the sinuses. Polyp is a solid mass & cyst is a fluid filled lesion.
It can be caused due to infection or inadequate ventilation of the sinus, may be secondary to deviated nasal septum.

All these findings are associated with pathology in the nose & paranasal sinuses.
They are not related to hearing loss.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.