Hearing loss, voices in head. Not on medication. Causes?

Hearing loss in an elderly woman is hearing voices in head. takes no medication and otherwise is healthy . what are causes and what can be done
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Hearing loss is commonly associated with auditory hallucinations. It is commonly seen in elderly with lack of auditory stimulation and is associated with tinnitus.

The main cause seems to be loss of hearing in your case.

Using hearing aids to improve the hearing will help in gradually reducing these sounds.

Age related hearing loss is usually due to nerve degeneration. I encourage you to consult an ENT specialist for proper evaluation and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.