Hearing heartbeat while lying down or climbing stairs. What is causing this?

I hear my heart beat in my ears upon lying down and sometimes after climbing stairs. It is most disturbing when I lay on my left side. A pounding and swooshing sound. Causes sleep disturbance and anxiety. What is causing this?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The swooshing of blood flow may be caused by so many causes.
A surge in blood pressure, an arteriovenous malformation,
pheochromocytoma, tinnitus and anxiety neurosis.
A good approach would be to get the BP checked when symptomatic. If it is not a cause then you need a detailed physical and lab assessment by a physician to decide upon the cause.
Ultrasound abdomen, a CT brain, renal function tests along with some other work up may be needed.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.