Heard sound when moving neck, now experiencing pain and stiffness in neck. Natural cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

on 8th April 2013, at office i turned my neck sidewards suddenly couple of times,
i also heard low sound while moving my neck.

after this, till today (almost a week), i am having pain in the back of my neck, pain is bearable.
i don't notice pain while i sleep.

I face this pain especially by noon when i am in the office, and working in front of monitor.

Also, i feel little stiffness in my neck.
i don't have any other symptoms.

I got neck pain couple of times before when i had bad posture, and this used to disappear in a day or two.

I practise Yoga since 2 years, simple yogasanas, this also involves neck exercises.

Please let me know if the pain goes away naturally?
what should i do to eliminate the pain?
any other suggestion?

Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 7 hours later

It's not uncommon in young people like yourself to have these neck pains. These as you might have figured out are posture related. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated.

You seem to follow a healthy lifestyle, which is favourable. All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements. I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. That may also include the yoga you do, and you should consider suspending it until the pain goes away completely. You can gradually resume them and even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.

Do not self medicate, or need not take prescribed medications atall unless absolutely necessary. Rest is the trick here, and specific aforesaid exercises are your only long term insurance. You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work.

If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon. Hope this was informative enough. For any further questions, I'm available for follow up.