Heard popping sound when bending down. Now hurts to lift arm and experiencing pain in rib cage

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I heard an XXXXXXX sound (like cartilage?) when leaning on the bottom of the door frame of my car about 16 hours ago. I was looking under the dash of the car when this happened. Now my rib hurts to the right of the pectoral region on the R side of my rib cage. It hurts when I bend over or lift my R arm over my head.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
It sounds like you pulled serratus anterior, latissimus or pectoral muscles. Rib fracture is not common in such injury mechanisms. There is no other treatment but resting and holding your upper arm in neutral position with angle between forearm and upper arm close to a right angle. You should 2 days after injury start stretching your upper arm. Elevate your arm till you feel pain,and then every next time try to elevate it 1cm more till full recovery.
If you experience breathing diffculties or tingling sensation and swelling in your arm, you should visit hospital as soon as you can
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"