Heard popping sound in the back of head. Having headache and sore on back of head and neck. Worrisome

Nov 2013

About a week ago I heard a loud pop in the back of my head. Left back of head and left back of upper neck were sore for about two days. I have had a constant severe headache ever since then.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description, there are two possibilities:

1. Muscle tension headache- spasm or tension of muscles at the back of head and upper neck can give rise to pain in the region. Pain can be constantly present and may get exacerbated with neck movements.

2. Cervical disc disease- occasionally, a disc (located between two neck bones) may bulge out, causing compression of the adjacent nerves. This can lead to pain on one side of neck or head, and may also radiate to the arm on the same side. Neck movements may aggravate the pain.

For now, you can take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for a few days. If you improve, that is good.

If pain does not settle down, you could consult a neurologist and get imaging of cervical spine and head.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad