Heard popping sound in foot while walking. X-ray showed stress fractures on 2nd metatarsal. Worrisome

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
was walking and heard a popping sound in my R foot then it was painful to walk. A few days later the top of my R foot was bruised, swollen, ice cold, ankle cold and lower leg cold. Had xrays - stress fractures on 2nd metatarsal. Had nuclear xray - didn't tell anymore than regular xrays. Almost 3wks later, foot still ice cold, ankle and lower leg cold and still no answers. GP doesn't know why foot is still sooo cold.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Cold foot can occur if the nerves in your foot are compressed while exercising or during excessive stress to your foot. This can also put pressure on or damage the nerves in the feet, resulting in symptoms.
Take an anti-inflammatory medication like naproxen to help treat any swelling around the nerves in the feet, which can reduce symptoms. Wear appropriately fitting shoes that cushion your feet and offer adequate support. Do not overstress your feet.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.