Heard popping sound from stomach and lower rib area during physical work. Which specialist should I consult?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
i am 36 year old female,120 lb.During last 5or6 years sometimes during yoga,streches or physical work ,something would almost like pop out of my stomach/lower rib area,about 6" from sun area fallowing left rib.After slightly massaging it would go away or go back in.It is very painfull when that happens.The biggest popper looked like 6" alean.. :)10 days ago ,from nowhere the pain started and it is not going away. went to primary care,did XRay-ribs are not broken.Also I have undeveloped bottom rib on that side.I had no injury's.Now cough,sneeze,laugh,laying on the side hurts.Also I have a slight fever 99.6. If it's not you ,what specialist schould i turned to.
P.S. About 2 years ago doctor did ultrasound,they said no opening for hernia.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Since you have a undeveloped lower rib on the left side it is expected that the muscles in that region are going to be weak and underdeveloped. This area when exposed to high tension by virtue of exercising would lead to the development of an hernia. Your description that something is coming out and can be put back inside is typical of an hernia. Development of pain and discomfort signifies onset of complications. Any strain in the form of coughing or sneezing is also causing discomfort.Fever may not have a direct link to this problem.
I would suggest that you seek an opinion of a general surgeon who after a proper physical examination of the problem will be able to diagnose and advise further treatment.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards