Heard pop sound in hand while sitting still. Started getting pain. Should I be concern?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
While sitting still, i heard a pop sound on the top of my right hand. now it hurts to move my hand. no brusing nothing visual.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later

Sometimes as a normal phenomena, fluid (synovial fluid) that lubricate the joint release bubbles which pop and crackle with movement. This occurs very commonly after a period of inactivity or during certain movements. I am not sure if this is what you have, but this is my most likely explanation to your symptoms.

You don't need to worry if there is no associated joint pain; but you have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint - stronger muscle will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint.

However, if you experience pain when your joints crack or you have swelling of the joints, you should see a physician. Your doctor may recommend medication to relieve the pain and swelling and will check for damage to ligaments, tendons, or cartilage.

Meanwhile you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Heard pop sound in hand while sitting still. Started getting pain. Should I be concern? 3 minutes later
No, It is not the joint at all. the pain is felt about 1 inch below the fist two knuckles. it is a sharp stabbing pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

So it seems like hand tendonitis or part of your Hand tendonitis symptoms occur when the tendon, the tissue that connects the hand's muscles to its many bones, becomes inflamed. Tendonitis often occurs due to overuse.
These are treated using lifestyle modification combined with medication. First, common everyday activities will be modified to put less stress on the affected tendons. Then, the hand may be immobilized using a splint to allow the tendon to heal. This is done in conjunction with anti-inflammatory medication to bring down the inflammation.

Hope this will help you.If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.