Heard loud pop at the ankle bone while standing up. Noticed swelling and bruise. Any treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
A week ago today I stood up and heard a loud pop at the ankle bone (heard across the room by my husband) and when I went to walk promptly fell down. I want to know what happened. I have been icing and elevating and using a cane. I have bruising across the the right side of my foot and heel, at the top of my toes and at the heal on the left side. There has been considerle swelling gone down since self treatment. I can walk, there's not a lot of pain except when I press on the top of the ankle. Using the web I saw somethjing called the peroneus brevis which seems to be the area the "pop" was in.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Since a loud pop was heard across the room, a bone injury is likely. The swelling and bruise is due to the internal bleeding caused by the fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of injury.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.