Hear heart beating in right ear when I bend over. Reason ?

ENT Specialist
I hear my heart beating in my right ear -- only when I bend over. It does not happen all of the time just once in a while. I'm a 43 year old woman.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Pulsatile Tinnitus is due to increased or turbulent blood flow in the vicinity of the inner ear.

2. There are a number of reasons why you can hear your own heartbeat when you bend over.

3. You must first check and rule out the the following conditions:
a. Bloop pressure variations and anemia.
b. Routine ear examination to rule out earwax or fluid build up behind the ear drum.
c. Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram).
d. Color doppler study of neck vessels.
e. Cervical spine X-rays to rule out cervical spondylosis.
f. Blood tests for thyroid hormones, cholesterol (lipid profile).
g. Temporal bone scans may pick up an aberrant blood vessel (rare).

4. If the above investigations are normal, the cause may not be found (idiopathic in a majority of cases) as it happens one in a while. Tinnitus is not XXXXXXX in 99% people.

5. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.