Health test done, Elevated CRP, inflammation. Possibility of Lupus?

My name is XXXXXXX and I live XXXXXXX AK. I recently had a test done my health provider. The CRP test came back with results 6.25 some inflamation. She is thinking it is probably Lupus because of other symptoms. I still dont understand the numbers maybe you could help explain.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 12 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

CRP is C reactive protein. This is a marker of inflammation. So, high levels of this parameter will be found in any condition which gives rise to inflammation. Hence, it can be as simple a reason as viral infection or common cold (inflammation of nasal cavity) to as complicated a reason such as lupus or malignancy (inflammation of various organs due to autoimmunity). So you can realize that it is a very non specific marker and by itself doesnt mean much.

For someone to be diagnosed as lupus depends on many clinical features and lab parameters. There are some set criteria such as - presence of joint pains, skin lesions, kidney problems, neurological symptoms, elevated sed rate and CRP, and presence of factors called XXXXXXX in blood. You have not specified what are your 'other symptoms' are. Hence, it is very difficult to say if you have lupus.

More elaborate information is required to confirm the presence of lupus and elevated CRP alone is not diagnostic.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery.