Health check up showed high ESR level. Any infection?

Mar 2013
Thank you . I am XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX Software
I had my complete health check up done last week and my ESR is 37 . Does it signify any infection ?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
The normal sedimentation rate (Westergren method) for males is 0-15 millimeters per hour, and for females is 0-20 millimeters per hour. However the ESR is not a test for a specific condition. The test measures how quickly red blood cells (erythrocytes) settle in a test tube. The more red cells that fall to the bottom of a special test tube in one hour, the higher the ESR.
When inflammation is present in the body, certain proteins cause red blood cells to stick together and fall more quickly than normal to the bottom of the tube. These proteins are produced by the liver and the immune system under many abnormal conditions, such as an infection, an autoimmune disease, and cancer. There are many possible causes of an elevated sedimentation rate. For this reason, this test is done with other tests to confirm a diagnosis.
In absence of any signs or symptoms or complaints, and with a normal complete health check up, where all other tests are normal, please do NOT pay any attention to this finding.
Isolated raised ESR does not mean anything unless in combination with other positive tests.
Follow-up: Health check up showed high ESR level. Any infection? 17 minutes later
Is there are treatment of inflammation or does it subsid eon its own ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Depends on where there is inflammation, or in your case, if there is any inflammation at all.
If there is, you would be having problems like fever, swelling over affected area, raised local temperature etc.
Also, it would show up on your other blood tests like Hemoglobin, White blood cell counts etc.
Since you did not have any problem in the first place, and also, your other tests are normal, as you said, so please do not worry further. The value will get to normal by its own.

Follow-up: Health check up showed high ESR level. Any infection? 36 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Should i scan you my blood test report and send it to you for review ?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Please do so
However, if all values are reported within the normal range, you have no cause to worry
Will be glad to look at the report, though.