Health anxiety. Fear of tense arms, muscles, calves with occasional pain. Anxiety causing this?

I am a 37 year old Female, who has been dealing with health anxiety for 6 months now. I have seen my internist on a reg. basis. My fear is that my muscles, top of my arms and legs are tense and my calves a few seconds of pain occasionaly. I have no other symptoms, other than the muscles and I have no weakness. I am worried about ALS. I know this would be rare for someone my age, but are my muscle issues really from the anxiety? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Thanks for the query

Thanks for posting your query. Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the details provided to me I am sure you are not suffering from ALS. Pain and stiffness is not the usual complaint in people suffering from ALS. People with ALS present with more of wasting of the muscles, weakness and twitchings called as fasciculations.

So I personally feel your symptoms are not indicative of ALS and probably you are suffering from a anxiety related condition called as fibromyalgia or a myofascial syndrome. Fibromyalgia is a medical disorder characterized by widespread pain and allodynia, a heightened and painful response to pressure. If the pain and stiffness is disabling you medications like antidepressants, pregabalin or gabapentin would be of benefit to you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist