Headaches, fear of aneurism, pulsating, on advil, MRI, CT scan normal, family history of kidney stones and high BP. Risks of getting aneurism ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello i wrote to u before. i have been having headaches for a year or two. the pain is usually is dull or it pulsates on one side. it hurts when i look at the light. i have a tremendous fear of aneurism. last month i went to er and had cat scan and neuro exam. they said it was clean. and diagnosed me with tension headaches, and migraines. last night i had a pulsating on ona side, i took an advil and it was i have a dull pain that i usually have. my doctor said i dont need an mri i just have migraines and tension, but every time i get a headache i think its aneurism. i need help is there any risk factores for aneurism. my blood presure is good, nobody in ma family had aneurisms, my cholesterol is 210, ldl 147, hdl, 49 try is 69
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later

Do you experience any sounds or see flashes of light before the headaches begin

Does anyone in your family have history of migraine

Does the headache coincide with menstrual cycles

Any history of high blood pressure in yourself or your family members

Did anyone in your family have a brain aneurysm or kidney problems

Usually pulsating headache which makes the person sensitive to light, which comes without much warning, commonly in a female points to one of the diagnosis of Migraine.

Aneurysm in the brain presents suddenly with extremely severe headache, usually one of the worst headaches that one has ever had and is usually in the back of the head. It is not a chronic headache which comes on and off but is of sudden onset.

Migraine is a vascular disorder in the brain where the blood vessels become wider and cause stretching of the nerves and severe headache. It can be precipitated by bright light, loud noises, emotional stress, menstrual cycles, coffee, chocolate, alcohol.

Migraine will usually not show any findings on CT scan.

You will need special medication too prevent and abort attacks of migraine. Advil is not effective in preventing another attack. You need to be on Preventive therapy with medication like Propranolol, Flunarizine etc. and best drugs to abort an attack in Rizatriptan, Sumatriptan etc.

With these two types of treatment you will have less chance of getting further frequent attacks of migraine. Do consult your Neurologist for a proper diagnosis, tests and management.

Your cholesterol and LDL are not high. They need to be in control with diet modification and daily exercise. Avoid fatty, oily, junk food at all costs. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as they work very well ton remove excess cholesterol from the body.

CT scan can usually diagnose if an aneurysm is there as it has to be quite large to cause headache and is known to bleed spontaneously and make the person unconscious. This bleeding is detected in CT scan very sensitively. It is not so in your case.

Eat healthy. Keep well hydrated. Exercise daily. Avoid the food that was mentioned under substances that can precipitate attack, above. Try to reduce stress by doing Yoga and relaxation therapy as stress is also a factor in causing migraine.

Get 6-8 hours of sleep as sleep deprivation can also cause migraine.

Do not worry. Aneurysm is extremely less likely given your two year history of headache. Keep your blood pressure under control and live healthily. This will help in your recovery as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Headaches, fear of aneurism, pulsating, on advil, MRI, CT scan normal, family history of kidney stones and high BP. Risks of getting aneurism ? 19 minutes later
no family history of aneurism, my late grandma had kidney stones and high blood pressure, i dont have high blood pressure,my headache usually dull squizzing or its pilsating on one side.i dont smoke or drink and i had a ct scan it was fine
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 minutes later

Not to worry. It goes in favour of tension headaches interspersed inbetween possible migraines.

Do consult your Neurologist to help you in managing this problem in the best possible regimen.

Avoiding stress will do extremely well in preventing these headaches. Do get proper hours of quality sleep. Do add Yoga into your regime to help you relax as well.

Since CT scan was normal you can be relieved it is no aneurysm. Follow precautions as advised in my earlier post to prevent further headache attacks.

Eat healthy. Exercise daily. Stay fit and stress free.