Headaches, dizziness, feeling unsteady, vision problems. Diagnosed as sinus infection and taking decongestant. Proper treatment?

headaches on a daily basis i have horrible headaches and feeling unsteady when standing or when doing to much feeling faint also feeling dizzy most of the time and recently started having weird vision problems been to the doctor number if times and they tell me its a sinus infection but I haven't gotten better after taking weeks of antibiotics and doing sinus wash daily and taking decongestant over the counter medicine
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 35 minutes later

From the information given, it looks like you are suffering from migraine with auras associated with dizziness (Vertiginous migraine). Visual problems are probably due to the migraine auras which usually precede headache and sometimes occur without headache.

Dizziness or vertigo is a common complaint among migraineurs, and can be seen in one third of them suffering from migraine. Vertigo usually lasts for 5 minutes to 1 hour and may or may not be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, photophobia, or headache.

However, your symptoms do not fit into the diagnosis of a sinus headache. However migraine is a clinical diagnosis and needs of exclusion of other disorders including analgesic abuse and tension type headache.

So I personally recommend you to consult with a headache specialist or a Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation. A computerised tomography scan (CAT scan) may be required to exclude other causes of headache. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, medications for acute attacks and prevention of migraine can be started under supervision.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist