Headaches daily in the evening, pain aggravates while travelling. Reasons ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having headaches daily in the evening. It been a constant thing for past 6-8 months. this may be because of less sleep ( about 6 hours daily). my travelling time is about 4 hours daily and the pain gets aggravated while travelling.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Hi there.

Kindly do answer a few questions for me so that I will be in a better position to completely understand your problem and help you manage it best.

1. Do you have any constant running nose, nose block, sneezing, visual disturbances, dizziness, ringing sensation in the ears?
2. What makes the headache worse and what relieves the headache?
3. Are you on any medication?
4. Do you work under low lighting conditions?
5. Do you get refreshing sleep during the 6 hours you sleep daily?
6. How is your mood throughout the day?
7. Any recent change in sleep, appetite, weight, activity at home and work?

According to your history it appears you have a constant headache which bothers you a lot. There are many causes of such headache.

- It could be because of vision problem where the eyes are not adjusting to the lighting conditions, and straining at work.
- Also nose problems like sinusitis can cause headache especially in the afternoon and evening times.
- Sometimes past trauma to head may also cause constant chronic headache.
- Lack of enough water during the day can lead to dehydration which is also a common cause of headache.

Lack of sleep can also cause headache. If you are having un-refreshing sleep for those 6 hours then it could be the reason for the headaches as well.

You will need to get a complete workup to find the cause of the headache. Kindly do get your eyes tested for refractive error, get a complete Ear Nose Throat examination by ENT Doctor to rule out possible sinusitis as well.

If you are having chronic running nose, you may attempt steam inhalation which will help clear the sinuses and find immediate relief. Also you may take pain killers occasionally like Paracetamol under medical supervision to tide of the headache.

In your case it may be Tension headache which increases during stress and lack of sleep. This occurs because of taking constant stress and lack of relaxation to mind and body. Kindly do Yoga to help reduce stress in your life to find most benefit. You will need 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Avoid working in low lighting conditions. Eat diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Avoid junk food, fatty food, colas, coffee, smoking and alcohol as all these can hinder sleep and be a cause for headache as well.

Kindly do respond to the questions above and also consult your Doctor to do a complete workup as mentioned to find the cause of your headache.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Headaches daily in the evening, pain aggravates while travelling. Reasons ? 20 minutes later
Thanks Aashish.

the answers to your query are as below.
1) have none of the problems except some weak visual site. have difficulty in reading the mumbai train indicators from a little far.
2) tiredness makes it worse. no particular reason for relief. generally goes away after i reach home.
3) no medication.
4) work under normal lighting conditions
5) the sleep is ok.
6) mood is good in the morning. the headache starts with the evening.
7) nothing much change. its just that i feel tired by the end of each day.

will go for a check up. anything specific you want me to get tested for?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

Since you do have problem reading numbers from a distance, it could be a cause for your headaches.

Do consult an ophthalmologist who will perform a complete eye check up so that the problem can be corrected swiftly and you get relief from these troublesome headaches.

Sometimes headache in the evenings can be a sign of frontal sinusitis. It would be better to also consult your ENT Specialist to get a complete check up as well.

You must avoid caffeine, colas, high carbohydrate diet for a healthy lifestyle. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes to improve your immune system and reduce stress as well which can also aggravate headaches.

For temporary relief, do take Paracetamol (Crocin) tablet, 1 tablet as and when required ( upto a maximum of 4 tablets in a day) to tide over the headache till you consult yourd.