Headaches, cannot breathe deeply, break out in sweats. Do you think I could have some kind of brain disorder?

Neurologist
Question
I am 57 years old. History of high cholestorel, now controlled by crestor and high blood pressure and one stent, controlled by toprol. I have been getting headaches that start early on the morning while still in bed. Sometimes they get better by late afternoon, but not always. In addition it feels like most of the time I cannot take a beep breath through my head or relax and take a nap. Also, I sometimes break out in sweats usually while sleeping. I had a cat scan in
emergency room and it was negative and I had mri of brain 3 years ago that was also negative.
Do you think that I could have some kind of brain disorder or hormonal problem?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 12 hours later

Regarding the episodic headaches in you, possibilities could be a vascular headache like migraine. Other rare possibilities which need consideration are tension type headache, chronic meningitis and obstructive sleep apnea.

However I would like to know few details from regarding the nature of the headache - unilateral or bilateral headaches, associated visual problems, photophobia, phonophobia, nausea or vomiting, family history of migraine headache and analgesic abuse. I would also like to know about your stress levels, sleep problems like snoring and excessive day time sleepiness.

So I request you to send me these details to refine the cause of headache in you.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Headaches, cannot breathe deeply, break out in sweats. Do you think I could have some kind of brain disorder? 8 hours later
Thank you. Do you think that I should see a neurologist or my primary doctor?
Do you think it could possibly be a pituatory tumor?

Thanks for posting your query

I personally feel it would be better for you to see a Neurologist for a detailed clinical examination and consultation. Clinically, it is unlikely that you are suffering from a pituitary tumor. However, a scan of the brain is required to definitively exclude it.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist