Headaches after drinking alcohol. Took advil. Getting pain in head, eye and neck. Is this dangerous?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
After I consume a glass of wine, the next morning I wake up with a headache. I take advil & it's gone. Later on that day I will get a pain in the left side of my head, eye & sometimes my neck. Is this dangerous? It's not a headache but a pain. Hurts when I move my head.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
It seems that you are having hangover headaches due to alcohol in the next morning.
Alcohol is a common migraine trigger. Because alcohol can have diuretic effects, which means that it causes increased urination. This can quickly lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, and can cause a headache and the symptoms you are having.
There are some measures you can take to prevent the symptoms:
1. Reduce the amount of alcohol you are drinking.
2. Try to sip your drink slowly, or try a non-alcoholic variety.
3. Consume foods with a high fat and carbohydrate content before drinking, as this will help slow your body’s absorption of the alcohol.
4.Consider taking an over the counter painkiller before drinking if you are prone to headaches.
5. Stay hydrated. Try to drink plenty of plain water or a sport drink before drinking. Alternate every alcoholic drink with a glass of water to help you stay hydrated.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Headaches after drinking alcohol. Took advil. Getting pain in head, eye and neck. Is this dangerous? 11 minutes later
I do realize the initial headache is attributed to a hangover headache even though I'm not consuming a lot of alcohol. My concern is the head pain that comes back after the initial headache goes away.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The head pain that you have later is also related to the electrolyte imbalance due to alcohol. Taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids will help in relieving the symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.