Headache when passing bowel movement, loose stools. Why does this happen?

i get an ice pick headache when passing a bowel movement (Movement is loose, not constipated, why does this happen?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

From the information given, it looks like you are suffering from "primary stabbing headache" also called as ice pick headache. These occur as transient and localized stabs of pain in the head that occur spontaneously or with some activity in the absence of organic disease of underlying structures or of the cranial nerves.

Ice pick headaches occur in up to 40% of migraineurs (patients with migraine) and are often located in or near the usual location of their migraines. Most patients do not need any treatment unless it is disabling. It can be treated with a course of anti-inflammatory drug like indomethacin.

So I personally recommend you to consult with a headache specialist or a neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation. I would suggest that you keep a log of when you experience the headaches and try and identify the triggers if possible. Please take this diary when you consult your physician
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist