Headache, vomiting, no fever, blood, MRI, CT scans all ok, on nutrition drips. Suggestion?

Question
I live in China. My (Chinese) friend's 10 year old son has been severely sick for 8 days. Bad headache and vomiting if he moves. No fever. No rash. No severe pain. The doctors have done many tests (blood, MRI, CAT scans) but find nothing. He is on drips for nutrition but no other meds as far as I know. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later

Severe headache with vomiting in a child without any fever could be due to inflammation and infection of brain (encephalitis) and meninges(meningitis). It can be bacterial or viral in origin or may be aseptic in some cases. Analysis of cerebrospinal fluid will help in diagnosis.

He needs an indoor treatment with a continuous medical support and attention till he recovers.

Adequate fluid intake needs to be maintained by intravenous routes. Systemic antibiotics may be needed according to the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Headache, vomiting, no fever, blood, MRI, CT scans all ok, on nutrition drips. Suggestion? 20 hours later
Thank you. My friend took her son to three different hospitals and i think something has been missed. i really want them to review the tests again. They say it isn"t menengitis, encephalitis, kidney infection, bowel obstruction, rotavirus or any of the most likely ailments. He is a really healthy, active boy and this was sudden. Here is my question.

This is now his ninth day of headache and vomiting bile when he moves and unable to eat/drink. He has had no meds except hydration and nutrition. if this were your patient, and you really could not find a cause, what would you do? Put him on broad spectrum antibiotics? Or, some other course of action?

This is my last question because i know it is too difficult a case without seeing the patient.

Thank you
Follow-up: Headache, vomiting, no fever, blood, MRI, CT scans all ok, on nutrition drips. Suggestion? 0 minute later

Thank you

Thank you
Follow-up: Headache, vomiting, no fever, blood, MRI, CT scans all ok, on nutrition drips. Suggestion? 2 minutes later

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

In case, no cause is found after repeated investigations and vomiting continues then supportive therapy is advised by fluid replacement, parenteral anti emetics and systemic antibiotics to treat any suspected bowel or gall bladder infection.

Hospitalization with constant monitoring of body vitals is recommended in such cases.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wishing your friend's son a trouble free speedy recovery.

Regards.