Headache, underside of right arm is itching and bumps on the under side of wrist and forearm. Reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Between Wednesday and Thursday 10/16 and 10/17, I felt like I was coming down with a cold. I had a bad headache and I noticed that the underside of my right arm itched terribly, but there was no sign of a rash or bite. It eventually went away. On Friday, 10/18, I woke up with small bumps on the under side of my wrist and forearm. I assumed they were bug bites. The next day, Saturday 10/19, I had a rash and it was extremely itchy. I went to urgent care and was given prednisone. It didn't help. The rash has increased in size and severity every day since and has travelled up my arm is now spreading to my shoulder. I have gone to my regular doctor and dermatologist, but there is no diagnosis/explanation. They took a sample of the rash and also had blood work done, but no answers yet. I am extremely uncomfortable. The rash itches and burns and at times feels like I am being poked with a hot needle from the inside out. I have felt very tired and I had sensitivity to daylight for most of the day yesterday too.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, Welcome to XXXXXXX f

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there could be possibility of acute upper respiratory tract viral infection with rash or mite infection.

Exact diagnosis can be made by examining the rash.

Viral infection may or may not be associated with rash. Viral rash are generalized and macular (flat on touch) in nature while mite/bug rashes are papular (somewhat elevated) and discrete in nature.

Kindly upload pics of affected area, if possible.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile in my personal opinion, You should take cetrizine along with montelukast for relief of your symptoms.
You should also take decongestants and paracetamol, if cold symptoms are still persisting.

Viral rashes are self remitting in nature and may persist for 3-5 days. few medication may give you symptomatic relief.
Need for application of permatherin lotion will be decided if you condition won't improve within coming 3-4 days.

Kindly avoid antibiotics yet now as few antibiotics are also associated with rashes.

Take care,
Let me know your other associated query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Headache, underside of right arm is itching and bumps on the under side of wrist and forearm. Reason? 8 hours later
I uploaded 2 photos. The less severe is from a week ago today. The other is how my arm currently looks. As stated in my initial query, the rash has traveled up my arm and I have had it for a week with no relief or signs of it clearing up. It is rough to the touch in areas. The rash is not on my hand, it runs from my wrist up to my arm pit / chest area.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I am not able to see the uploaded pictures. Ki

Detailed Answer:
I am not able to see the uploaded pictures.
Kindly again upload the photos and will look after your query.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Did you view uploaded photos?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I have gone through the uploaded photos

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the uploaded photos and there appears to be high possibility of atopic dermatitis (if family history of allergy is present) or contact dermatitis.

If I am your treating doctor then I would like to prefer clobetasol/betamethasone ointment for topical application and cetrizine as oral preparation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava