Headache & toothache. Undergone nephrectomy long back. Any recommended pain killer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,
I have undergone Nephrectomy about a year and a half back.
I am having headache and toothache
Could you please confirm the pain killer that is advised to be taken

Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

Since you have undergone unilateral nephrectomy, you need to be very careful with your remaining kidney.

All the pain killers act by interfering with prostaglandin production in the kidneys. Prostaglandins are required to maintain renal blood flow. Hence prolonged use of analgesics can affect kidneys and deteriorate its function. Therefore analgesics should be taken in limited amounts along with plenty of water.

A relatively better analgesic for treating headache with toothache would be paracetamol in modest doses. For toothache local application of clove oil is advisable. If you do not find relief with this drug, other anti-inflammatory analgesics can be tried briefly under supervision of your local doctors.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

With regards