Headache, taken Advil and Tylenol, face numb, no difficulty speaking, stressed. Could this be symptoms of stroke?

Hi. I woke up with a headache two days ago. I took some headache pills (Advil) during the day, it still persisted, so I assumed it might be allergy, and had some Tylenol and more Advil. The pain finally went away. I fell asleep and slept until midnight when I still had a headache and some fever. More Tylenol and Advil and I slept until 10AM. Still headache, more Advil. Pain went away and got back. At 9PM i had claritin and Advil resulting in the pain going away. At the moment I have a slight numb left side of the face, especially the left side of my mouth. It's not symmetrical when I smile, and the lip is slow when I talk. Could this be symptoms of stroke? Sideeffects of medication? I am a 29 year old male, without any other health issues, normal weight, eating ok, working alot, stress due to career/ life changes. No difficulty speaking, all my limbs work well. A really appreciate your answer. Thank you very much/ XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

From the information given to me it looks like you have recent onset acute headache and fever followed by neurological disturbances on the left side of the face. None of the medicines used in you have these kind of side effects. From the description of the problems in the face it sound to me like a left facial palsy.

Possibilities to be considered in you are vascular events like stroke, SAH and viral fever follwed by left Bells' palsy. So I personally request you to see your GP for general physical examination as well as detailed neurological evaluation including meningeal signs. You need to check your BP to exclude it as the cause for headache and stroke. CT scan of the brain may be required to rule out the possibility of SAH.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist