Headache, shoulder pain, taken Ibuprofen, pain above breast. History of arrhythmia. Could this be just tension in the neck?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi my blood pressure this morning was 106/66 with a heartbeat of 61 . Last night it was 138/ 90. The last few days i have had a headache especially the upper shoulder to the neck area. This has been quite painful and I have taken Ibuprofen which has helped somewhat. I have had arrhythmias in the past ( about a year ago), but these subsided last year after taking medication prescribed by a cardiologist. I took Enconcor and Apocard (flecainida). Occasionally I get sharp little jabs above the left breast but the doctor said I would get a huge pain in the chest and not so high up if it was an aleart. Could this be just tension in the neck spinal joints that are radiating this pain to the chest and giving me a headache? Would you suggests taking aspirin to relieve the tension Bayer 100mg...Maybe this wold thin the blood a little. My main concern is the fluctuating blood pressure and sometimes the low temperature of 35.5 (...sometimes lower). I also have problems to urinate a good amount so need to go often and need to go several times in the night. They told me this change in urination cold also be affected by the heart. Best
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later

The stiffness in your neck radiating to the chest and shoulder with a headache might be due to cervical spondylosis or a muscle sprain due to abnormal neck positions. It is less likely to be related to a cardiac cause.

Taking a mild pain killer like acetaminophen may be helpful. In case the pain is persistent then you might need muscle relaxants under the guidance of your orthopedician.

Meanwhile follow these lifestyle modifications-
1.) Apply heat or cold packs regularly.
2.) Take a hot shower everyday.
3.) Do regular physical therapy.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
5.) Avoid high calorie foods and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
6.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.

Right now I do not recommend you to take aspirin without consulting your physician.

A review with your cardiologist may be needed in view of blood pressure changes.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal
Follow-up: Headache, shoulder pain, taken Ibuprofen, pain above breast. History of arrhythmia. Could this be just tension in the neck? 2 hours later
Yes, it seems like this could be the case but actually I am also feeling light headed and my vision is effected i.e. quite sensitive to light and blurred. When i press on the head in one point like 7 cms above the ear i feel relief. But the main headache is back of neck and above the eyes. I have to mention also that my circulation is not so good as when I lay on my arm I seem to loose circulation and the arms fall asleep. Anyway maybe I have a circulation problem or something. Would you suggest Ibuprofen 600Mg twice a day?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If there is associated problem in the vision then consulting an ophthalmologist for an eye evaluation will be helpful.
Lying on your arm could cause compression of nerves and blood vessels in your armpit causing the numbness and decreased circulation in the arm. This is a completely reversible change.
You can take ibuprofen 600mg twice daily for the mild pain you are having.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do close the discussion in case there are no further queries.