Headache, sensitivity to light and head keeps twitching. EEG and MRI came normal. Could this be migraine?

Oct 2013

Hello, I have been having unusual symptoms, I develop headaches then my head starts twitching. I am sensitive to light; I do not want to be touched, I stutter when I try to talk, become disoriented, then lose consciousness for several minutes. These episodes can last up to two hours . I am very tired afterwards. There is also a spot on the back of my head that I can press that seems to alleviate the pain and helps the twitching. In the past few months I have had an EEG and an MRI both which have been normal.
I also saw a psychiatrist who said they were not pseudo seizures and saw no mental instability. No one seem sto be able to figure this out. Could I have Migraines?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it can be migraine but further history needed

Detailed Answer:
hello dear
thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
Your symptoms seem to fit into migraine but some more details in history are needed for diagnosis of the migraine. Simplified criteria is
Headache lasting 4 hours to 3 days (untreated)
At least two of:
1 Unilateral pain
2 Throbbing type pain
3 Moderate to severe in intensity
4 Motion sensitivity (headache made worse with head
movement or physical activity)
At least one of:
1 Nausea/vomiting
2 Photophobia/phonophobia
3 Normal examination and no other cause of headache

You have severe headache, light sensitivity, no other cause because your eeg and mri results are normal. In acute attack:
1 take one cup of coffee
2 take tab paracetomol
3 avoid sound and light
4 take sleep in quite room
5 take tab from triptan group like sumatriptan
this will decrease your symptoms.

Even after these changes and medication headache does not come down, then further investigation and change in medication might be needed. Regarding spot it might be from injury that you might not have noticed.

you can ask me follow up question detailed history of your headache like mentioned above criteria, and any thing related to medication.
you can ask me direct query at
Hope I answered your query.
Wish you speedy recovery