Headache, runny nose and sore throat. On loratidine. Getting bad smell from nose. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
I feel a typical smell when inhale through nose it stays for certain time and certain time I donot feel it.I do get nasal drip allergies and was taking loratidine one pill for a longtime and also use flownase on and off.
Two week back was feeling like viral with headache,runny nose,sore throat and took phynelhepedrine 10 mg with one ibuprofen for 7 days which relieved my symptom,I at the point was tested as not having flue by nurse at minute clinic and per advise took the OTC medications as above.Nurse had checked my BP usin machine and showed 140/90 so she manually checked and stated its normal now at 130/80.
I donot have a BP issue and donot take any medication for it.
I am 56 years,male
I do have allergic symptoms for a long time and doctor advised me to use loratidine before sleep and use flownase as needed - I am currently using the flownase.
I had breathing issue about 10 years back and Doc mentioned me Azma like sysmptoms and had got me on Singulair for about 10 months.
If have a specific question do let me know will answer it.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Welcome in H.C.M. for consulting.

I have gone through your query regarding bad smell from nose during inhaling air. This problem is also off and on. As you said, you are allergic and taking Loratidine before sleep and singulair for your asthma.

Considering your symptoms and relevant history about nasal discharge and Flu like headache etc. I suspect that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis and time-to-time allergic sinusitis. Whenever allergic fluid in sinus is infected you may feel bad smell. In addition, if in anyway gums, tonsils and pharynx are secondarily infected, you may have bad smell.

You may take your C.T. scan of paranasal sinuses to confirm sinusitis.

Do write back to me if you have follow up queries.

With Regards.

Follow-up: Headache, runny nose and sore throat. On loratidine. Getting bad smell from nose. What's wrong? 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. A.K. XXXXXXX for responding to my query.

(1) I will plan for the CT Scan of paranasal sinuses. I very much know that I have allergies sinuses issue and hence doctor has suggestd the medications I am using.He gave me prescription of Flonase (Flicticasone) to use as and when and to use loratidine,Singulair was asked for sometime but not long term.

In my blood test the eosinophil counts were higer - monitored over 2 years and each time was higher,one time a year back I needed to take antiiotics as nasal secretion was infected and turned yellow.

(2)With the medication I am taking do you suggest to continue meanwhile? Like should I continue using Flonase spray and loratidine as I do now.
Singulair I am not taking at this time - do you suggest to use it?

(3)With all this medications I am having the smell so was wondering what else can be done.

Thank you,
Welcome again for re consulting H.C.M.
No doubt you may be having allergic rhino sinusitis and bronchial asthma, these allergic conditions are to be managed accordingly with keeping in mind the aggravating factors which are to be avoided.By avoidance of these allergic substances total requirement of anti allergic drugs may be minimize.
Till you are not getting your C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses you may continue medication you are already taking, but if your scan revailes blocked osteomeatal complex than line of treatment may be change.
Hope you will get my point.

With Regards.