Headache on one side, left eye pain, face numbness

ENT Specialist
hi im 33 years olf female.lately i am having headache on one side the left side and when i press the muscle on my neck it i woke up with pain behind the left eye that comes and goes now i have numbness on my face
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As your history is incomplete, I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1.Do you have any XXXXXXX before the headache?
2.Is it a throbbing headache or a dull pain?
3.Does it have any trigger or time zone?
4.Do you have any eye symptoms such as watering, redness or photophobia or dislike of strong light?
5.Did you suffer with any head injury in the recent past?
6.May I know your blood pressure readings?
7.Do you have any history of use of oral contraceptives or medical abortions?
8.Do you consume excessive caffeine in form of coffee or any medications?
9.Do you suffer from acidity or gastric reflux?
10.Do you suffer from any other diagnosed medical conditions?

A headache that is relieved by neck massage is usually a tension headache. One sided headache and pain behind the eye is suggestive of migraine, migraine-variant or cluster headaches.

Sinus related pain will usually increase on bending forwards. Sphenoid sinusitis and local eye conditions may cause pain behind the eye.

Numbness of the face could be due to involvement of the Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial Nerve) like Trigeminal neuralgia or Temporal arteritis. Another important point is that neuralgias and migraine do not respond to usual painkilers and requires different group of drugs.

This mix of symptoms makes it difficult to pinpoint the cause without detailed history, examination and investigations. It would be better to see a neurologist and an ENT specialist. Blood tests should include a hemogram, ESR, c-reactive protein, liver function tests, homocyteine levels and urine analysis. Detailed investigations such as EEG, 3 Tesla MRI can wait.

Please reply to the above questions as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Anticipating your reply,