Headache, nose blocked, foul smell. Betacap not helping. History of sinusitis. Is this caused due to residual cold?

Having severe headache with one nose blocked and foul smell from today. earlier doctor advised me betacap tr 40 for the headache. But somehow it is not helping fully. I don't remember having recent cold. But few weeks back I had cold playing in snow. I have history of sinusitis. Is this is causing due to some very old cold residing in the body ?
I have been taking antibiotics like azithromycin, amoxycillin (moxclav) and doxyxillin since january in different courses prescribed by my dentist. So want to avoid any new antibiotics please.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing in
Your symptoms suggest that you may be suffering from sinusitis with a blocked nose on one side.
Sinusitis is the inflammation of sinuses which are air pockets in skull beneath the eyes and around nose.These sinuses open in the nose through small openings.
When these opening get blocked either by mucous or by polyps or by some food particles,it results in build of mucus secretions inside sinuses and a bacterial infection of these secretions may cause foul smell.
Once the sinuses gets blocked,the air inside the sinus gets absorbed resulting in negative pressure in the sinuses which results in severe headache.

Generally treatment can be done without the use of antibiotics and involves
Regular steam inhalation three times a day.
Taking hot liquids
Avoiding cold liquids
Hot compress on face two to three times a day
Avoiding smoking
Using nasal decongestant for few days

These measures should make you all right however,if the symptoms don't improve in two weeks,or they worsen,or you start getting fever,then a possible endoscopy of sinuses can be done which can be therapeutic as well as diagnostic.
This endoscopy is called as RHINOSCOPY
Some times a CT sinuses is also done for proper evaluation of the sinuses.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Headache, nose blocked, foul smell. Betacap not helping. History of sinusitis. Is this caused due to residual cold? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your reply. But to add to the case I would also like to inform you that I have done tooth extraction in last month and there was a bit of problem in the recovery at that time and dentist suspected dry socket. But later it got okay. however with mu sinusitis problem, I found the extraction also have became swollen a bit and got soft. Is that also normal in sinus. And the headache is precise and dominant in one point that is right side (above ear) in the skull near the forehead region.
Historically I had problem with sinus and doctor advised to not to use cold water for bathing. As I had severe pain and bloody mucuos (sometimes black or brown) discharge from nose and mouth.
Also should I continue betacap tr 40 if this is not migraine. And can you for the time being prescribe me some medicines for pain relief and decongestant.
Thank you so much once again doctor.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
The tooth extraction can cause problem in sinusitis specially with molars and premolars as maxillary sinus sits right above the maxillary molars and premolars.
There can be an accidental hole in the sinus while extracting tooth however,this can be treated properly and easily by antibiotics and rarely by corrective surgery.
Regarding use of beta cap you can talk to your doctor.
You can take ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for pain.
OTC nasal decongestants are OTRIVIN, AFRIN ETC.