Headache, nose bleed. Are they connected? History of asthma and allergy. Family history of migraine.

my son had a headache that he said was pounding. Then a few weeks later he had a very slight nose bleed. Are they connected? He has asthma and allergies. Also the males in my family ( my brother and my nephew ) have a history of migraines. He had a check up the other day and everything was great. He is not anemic.What could it be? His doctor said it is sinus issues
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.
Your son had a pounding headache following which after few weeks he had slight nose bleed.

Nose bleed usually occurs from irritation of nose due to any process like inflammation of nose or rhinitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory infection, allergy , polyp etc. So there is a possibility Sinusitis might be causing headaches and nose bleed.

Rarely, can it be due to other causes such as bleeding disorders, telangiectasias, nasopharyngeal tumor.

Sometimes picking of nose or blowing of very cold or dry air also may lead to this bleeding. Blood usually comes from the septum or partition wall of the nose. You can take him to an ENT doctor for a check up.

In terms of the headaches relating to Migraine, a neurologist would be the best person to evaluate this, as there can be many reasons for headache.
1. Tension-type headaches.
2. Cluster headaches.
3. Chronic daily headache.
4. Intracranial pathology.

But, to me after clubbing all his symptoms together, I feel most probably, it could be due to sinusitis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.