Headache, nausea, mild fever and tightness in throat. What cure should be done?

Dec 2012

My 13 yr old daughter has experience stomach nausea with tightness in her throat for the last several days. Today it is worse. She has a low grade temp and now a headache (feels like her head is in a vice grip). No body aches to speak of. She wants to throw up but can't. She is asthmatic. Her rescue inhaler is not much help with the throat tightness. She did have a flu shot. She has no appetite. This can't wait 24 hrs. Need a quicker response. Just tried an er with a 2 hr wait. What would u do if this was your child
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting.

Your daughter is probably experiencing an upper respiratory tract infection and so you will need to be consulted by a pediatrician/doctor who would do a proper evaluation and identify the level at which the infection has occurred. Throat swab might be required ( but not an absolute necessity). The symptoms she is presenting with are as a result of the infection. So could be managed symptomatically while the doctor sees her later. A course of antibiotics might also be needed but has to be prescribed by your doctor. Try the inhaler again one or two more times if she has difficulty breathing.
You will have to exercise some calmness around her. If you get agitated or sound too worried, you might provoke an asthma attack on your daughter due to her being emotionally stressed coupled with the presence of a respiratory infection.

I will suggest you wait a little while so they can attend to you.
If you got any further questions, you just write back as I am presently online to assist you.

Hope this helps and wish your daughter a quick recovery.

Dr Nsah