Headache, jolt-like pain. Have TMJ and bad posture. Should I be concerned about brain aneurysm?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, I'm 25 and I've been having unusual (for me anyway) headaches for a few months now. They're very brief (a few seconds), sharp, jolt-like pains in my right temple area (rarely on my left). They're not extraordinarily painful, only somewhat so, because they're so brief. They're more uncomfortable and startling than anything. They don't happen all the time. Maybe only a few times per day. But sometimes, if I'm lucky, they happen every two or three days.

I do have TMJ and not the best posture, so I don't know if this could be a factor. And I do have an appointment set up to see a doctor fairly soon, but I wanted to make sure it's not an emergency. It's certainly not the "worst headache ever."

My question: Should I be concerned this is something more serious, like a brain aneurysm that's about to rupture? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 12 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old female
•     Known case of TMJ problem
•     Complaints of: Episodic sharp pain in right temple area.

You case is interesting and but difficult too. Many time only with symptoms it is difficult to reach any diagnosis. Then we have to consider multiple possibilities for current situation.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities for cause of headache in following hierarchy:
•     TMJ problem: as you are already having it.
•     Some locally nerve related problem: Neuralgia or nerve compression.
•     Stress or anxiety related: if present with pain or exacerbation of pain due to stress or anxiety.
•     Migraine or Aneurysm: less chances. In these condition patient experience severe and bursting headache. Although chances are least but their possibility can not be rule out only from clinical presentation.

It is better to fix appointment with neurologist. Even if it is not serious problem but you need treatment, as it is causing discomfort to you in routine life.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.