Headache in left side of head, left eye and neck, painkillers ineffective, need to cover eye

I've had a headach for 2 day. I woke up with it yesterday and today it is even worse. it's mostly in the left side of my head including my left eye, and down the left side of my neck. pain killers are not working. I feel like I need to keep my left eye covered as it hurts even more otherwise. any suggestions for pain relief?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds like it could be a tension headache or possibly a migraine headache. For tension headaches often massage of the neck muscles and stretching exercises make a big difference in helping resolve symptoms. In addition I recommend a regimen of ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily for 3 days. The anti-inflammatory effect of this medication will often help with the pain.

For migraines the headache will usually run it's course within 3 days. You may try ibuprofen to relieve you from headache. Try and maintain good fluid hydration and get adequate sleep as these help migraine symptoms as well. Also take a look at your diet to see if there are any triggering foods which may have set this off such as chocolates, caffeine or other foods. This will help you avoid recurrent migraines.

The last thing to make sure of is that your blood pressure is not elevated. Mild to moderate blood pressure elevation can often cause headache as well.

Again I thank you for the query and hope my answer serves to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga