Headache in cold weather, stuffy nose. Due to weather change?

May 2013
i have a headache behind my left eye.It happens few times a year especially in cold weather and i noticed that if i dont breath whith my nose the left side of my nose becomes stuffy than headache eventually stops. I used to drive my car with my window half open.Could it be the reason why i get this problem? and how to cure this?
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
thanks for the query.

according to your description the possible causes for your head ache are,

-Nasal passages contain some amount of moisture normally for their proper function.

When we exposed to clod and dry weather the moisture will lost and because of dryness, the nasal mucosa will become irritated and inflamed.

Because of this inflammatory response and stimulation of nerve pathways sinus headache can occur.

Paranasal sinuses are air filled cavities presenting in the cranial bones which are situated around the eye, because of this you are feeling pain behind the eye and pain is getting decreased when you stop breathing.

-high oxygen levels in the cold air cause contraction of the blood vessels in the brain, which can cause headache.

Now what you can do is,
-try to close the windows completely while driving,
-consult ENT specialist and under his guidance use anti-inflammatory drugs and humidifiers which can give relief.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.